What can I do to manage my acne better?
All of us experience occasional spots and pimples at some stage in our lifetime, especially during puberty, but some people experience intense pain and suffering through acne outbreaks. It is one of the most common skin conditions and occurs when the hair follicle and its associated glands on the face, neck, chest, or back become blocked and inflamed. This blockage and inflammation results in the formation of any of the following skin blemishes termed as pimples:
What Causes Acne | Manage My Acne Better
Acne outbreaks can occur due to many factors. The most common contributors to acne are:
- Hormonal Changes – drastic increase in the levels of sex hormones particularly male sex hormones called androgens during puberty is considered to be the biggest factor causing acne. During puberty, the sebum production increase, and the skin cells also being to grow quicker.
- Sebaceous Gland Blockage – excess sebum causes the blockage of hair follicles and sebaceous gland pores. The skin pores can also get clogged as a result of dead skin cells, dirt, and debris. You can click this link now to get help with your skin and feel more confident.
- Bacterial Infections – bacterial growth in the blocked pores can lead to pus-filled bumps, redness, and swelling.
- Drugs and Chemicals – use of certain medications such as isoniazid, corticosteroids, phenytoin, and lithium may worsen or cause an acne outbreak.
How to Treat Acne | Manage My Acne Better
Acne is not only aesthetically unpleasant; it can be emotionally challenging if left untreated as it starts to appear at a time when everyone wants to look their best. From routine self-care measures to highly specialised medical treatment options, acne can be treated or managed in a number of ways. Depending on the severity, any of the following treatment options can be recommended:
- Prescription Medications
- Over-the-counter Medications
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Chemical peels
- Laser Therapy
- Light Therapy
- Hormonal Therapy
- Home Remedies
How to effectively manage acne? | Manage My Acne Better
- avoid using waxy or greasy cosmetics on your skin
- avoid over exposure to direct sunlight
- keep your face and hands clean at all times
- wash your face with lukewarm water and mild soap
- avoid abrasive scrubs
- avoid squeezing the pimples
- avoid going to humid areas
Southgate Medical Centre
Manage My Acne Better